Thursday, July 14, 2022

Bringing down the business? Jan. 11, 1986

  

I said yesterday that Michele was my motivation for turning against my boss in 1978, which is only partly true.

She became an excuse to do so.

After four years working for the cosmetic company, the job had worn badly on me.

While our boss, Donald, was kind of employees at times, he was also an elitist, keeping himself distant from us, and encouraging Stanley is supervisor to do the same.

Donald seemed to like the idea of being rich. And like many people who earned their way to wealth (even though his father was a successful advertising man in the 1950s), Donald tended to hide more and more behind Stanley.

But it was largely office politics that ruined the place for me.

John Telson, who had come before the 1975 Christmas season, began to play spy and special envoy for Donald through most of 1977 and has – as he admitted later once while drunk – plotted to take my spot as supervisor, when Stanley finally got promoted.

Two important revelations came to mind. The first was the fact that competition for the higher-level jobs scared the shit out of me. The second revelation was that I didn’t really see the promotion as important, even though I was supposedly destined to take Stanley’s place behind the big window that overlooked the warehouse.

Stanley had very little power as was proven when I became the manager of the night shift during the 1977 Christmas season, and Stanley felt threatened by how well I did.

This suggested that once he rose up to the next level, Stanley would become even more controlling than Donald had been.

Much to my shame later, I felt threatened by John and harassed him until he quit his full-time position in May 1977 – although he came back part time during the 1977 Christmas season.

It is ironic when I knew my time with Donald was coming to an end, I arranged to have dinner with John on a Friday night in May 1978 and he arranged for me to get hired at his new place of employment.

The letters I had sent to all of the manufacturers were a ticking bomb which I knew would lead to me getting fired. I’d hoped to quit first.

The following Monday, Donald called me into his office, confronted me with one of these letters and asked who had written it, and when I said I didn’t know, he pulled out copies of my fictional stories and said the type face matched.

He fired me on the spot.

A month earlier, he had issued me a warning after he had overheard me talking to one of the other employees about their moving on – I did not see a future in the warehouse for any of us.

Donald suspected I might be trying to unionize the workers against him, an idea he absolutely hated. While he could do nothing about outside forces possibly trying to do something like this, he would not tolerate betrayal from someone like me who he basically had treated well over the years.

The fact that I had no such unionizing plans never came up on our conversation.

I guess he saw my letter writing as part of this effort, rather than simply an act of revenge for Michele and perhaps the whole spying by John.

Fortunately, my letters did not destroy his business because I later regrated the whole act and would have had to have lived with the guilt.

I vaguely wondered if I had succeeded, Donald might have reached out to some of his brother’s mafia friends, a brief if paranoid thought.

As it turns out, my actions appeared to have no effect, and later, Donald would expand his business even further.

Life went on inside the cosmetic warehouse as if I had not existed.


Main Menu


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment