Thursday, July 14, 2022

More about the other Michele Jan. 10, 1986

  

I spoke about my second Michele yesterday neglecting to mention that the boss was not the only person at the cosmetic warehouse to abuse her.

Michele, who had come to work in the outlet section sometime in 1977, was born and raised in primarily white neighborhood in Caldwell, spoiled a bit by successful white parents. If she actually knew a black person personally, it was someone from one of the more successful Essex County families who were a white and white people.

Like many suburban girls, Michele had an imaginary perception of other black people, either as villains or victims of society.

This did not alter much when she finally met “real” black people when she attended William Paterson College – a school that had a significant population of underprivileged students from places like Paterson.

Even then, the blacks she met were not the hard-core street people, but those struggling to make their way up in the system, aided by Affirmative Action, Pell and other grants geared towards providing blacks with an equal opportunity.

As a dancer, however, she got a chance to work with dance programs at Passaic County Community College, located in the heart of Paterson, where she met blacks and Latinos alien to her hometown of Caldwell. But even had this not been the case, she was part of the school’s artist community which gravitated to the dying and discredited Marxist culture, spouting old social justice slogans from the 1960s most students on campus didn’t want to hear – although in New York’s Cooper Union recently, the Marxists plotted their return, and I suspect she might well have leaped into the renewed movement with both feet.

As school, she hung out with black students, dating black men, and, in fact, was romantically involved with a black man when she came to work in the outlet, something that did not sit well with many of the white warehouse workers who grumbled about it, and not always out of earshot.

These same workers, knowing of my attraction to Michele, mocked me for coming in second to a black man. And for the first time in many years, I heard a number of horrible black jokes resurrected. I didn’t argue the point. I wanted Michele to give up her boyfriend, not because he was black, but because I wanted her, too.

She seemed as confused as I was, and during those times when I drove her home, she seemed to linger on the edge of inviting me inside, where I might take her into my arms.

I got to hold her only once, and this after a dispute over my picking up lunch from a local eatery and her failing to call the order in, so I got stuck waiting out my whole lunch break for the chef to make it up. I yelled at her; and then saw how hurt she looked and immediately regretted it, wrapping my arms around her small frame as I told her how sorry I was.

It occurred to me then just how easy it was for strong people to abuse weak people, power over others that startled me, one of the rare moments of enlightenment I would get again later when I worked for Two Guys in Garfield.

This led directly to my trying to destroy the company since what I had done to Michele was nothing compared to what the owner was doing to her on a daily basis, keeping her cooped up in the computer room where he verbally abused her to underperforming a task she’d not been hired to do in the first place, which she did not want to do, but needed to do in order to keep her job.

She became an emotional wreck.

Then one day, she called in sick, unable to take the abuse. She didn’t come in that Friday or on the Saturday to deal with programming orders.

The owner fired her. Later when she tried to collect unemployment, he argued she had been a horrible employee, routinely coming in late (which was not true). Unemployment initially rejected her claim. She was unable to pay rent and got evicted.

 

 Main Menu


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment